Don’t make the mistake of getting behind the wheel after a party when you’ve been drinking. As you surely already know, driving while impaired puts your life and the lives of your passengers, other drivers and pedestrians in danger.
The cost of failing the Breathalyzer test may also surprise a lot of people! Assurances Multi-Risques wants to raise your awareness of the consequences of driving while impaired.
There’s nothing we want more than to keep you safe and sound! So please read the text below and, most importantly, don’t do anything foolish!
Financial and legal consequences
You think it’s too expensive to take a taxi? That returning the next day to pick up your car is too complicated? Well, these negatives are nothing compared to the expense and complexity that can result from being arrested for drinking and driving, even for a first offence.
- Licence suspended immediately and the possibility of having your vehicle towed. Fees: at least $80 for towing and no less than $15/day for storage.
- If you plead guilty, you’ll be fined $1,000 (note that you will be deprived of a driver’s licence for a year).
- You will then have to undergo a summary assessment, the aim of which is to “detect an incompatibility between the person’s alcohol use […] and the safe driving of a road vehicle.” Fee: more than $300.
Favourable result: you will then need to participate in an awareness-raising activity called Alcofrein. Fee: $150.
Unfavourable result: you will have to undergo a second, so-called “comprehensive” assessment. Fee for this compulsory therapy: $800. Next, you will have to equip your vehicle with an alcohol ignition interlock device. Installation fee: $50. Rental fee: $61/month.
- Every time you renew your driver’s licence, your insurance contribution (to the Société d’assurance automobile du Québec) increases based on the demerit points on your driving record. Thus, you will go from $60 for a clean driving record to more than $330.
- And legal fees? For a simple case, you will pay approximately $2,000. For a more complex case that ends in a trial, lawyers’ fees may be as high as $10,000.
- There will also be consequences in terms of your automobile insurance premium. Your insurer may even refuse to cover you.
Therefore, driving while impaired by alcohol is a big NO!
Assurances Multi-Risques urges you to refrain from drinking and driving. Many resources are available to allow you to get home safely if you have had too much to drink:
- Contact Tolérance Zéro or any other organization similar to this in your region;
- Before the party begins, be sure to have a designated driver;
- Enjoy the party and stay overnight at the place where the party is organized;
- Leave your car at home and take a taxi or bus;
- Walk home if you don’t live too far away.
It’s best to be responsible!