Optimized storage, cool design, different lifestyle—small homes are increasingly becoming all the rage in Quebec! They can be a great option, whether for your main residence, your cottage or even your motorhome! However, you need to be sure that it has the right insurance coverage.

This article discusses the different insurance coverage options available depending on the use you make of your small house.

The small home craze!

Many Quebecers have set their sights on this solution, which makes home ownership more accessible. Small homes are a good way of reducing the expenses that come with owning a home. They cost less to build and their municipal property taxes are lower.

Moreover, they allow you to reduce your environmental footprint because they use less material to build and consume less energy.

Many of these small homes are designed to recover their own energy. They can also run on solar power and some even offer new ways of harvesting rainwater or treating wastewater.

For many Quebecers, small homes offer an opportunity to experience something close to self-sufficiency. A life of independence and freedom!

Small homes provide ingenious ways of streamlining living spaces without having to make too many compromises. Storage space under the staircase, a compact but functional bathroom, a kitchen sink hidden under a removable counter: designers of small homes use all their creativity to make the most of small spaces.

There is a growing trend in municipalities to either reserve entire neighbourhoods for small homes or allow the construction of such homes within their territory, in accordance with their municipal regulations.

Micro, small, tiny: what’s the difference?

These low square-footage dwellings come in different categories. Micro homes have 300 square feet of area or less. Small homes range from 300 to 600 square feet in area and tiny houses can have from 600 to 1,000 square feet of living space.

The surface area of your small home will have an impact on the price you pay for your home insurance policy. If your house should burn down in a fire, for example, the replacement cost would vary depending on its size.

What insurance coverage should you choose for your small home?

This is a good question, but the answer depends on what use you make of it. If it’s your main residence, regular home insurance is what you’ll need.

If it’s a secondary residence, a cottage or a seasonal home, our brokers will offer you the right insurance policy.

Not the type to put down roots? If you have a small home on wheels and go here and there in search of new adventures, you’ll need to purchase recreational vehicle or motorhome insurance. This type of insurance applies to anyone considering moving their home at least once a year.

If this is your case, make sure you register your small home with the SAAQ. You would do the same for a recreational vehicle or trailer.

If you live in your house on wheels year-round, you may not have a fixed residence (no permanent address). Nomad insurance will surely be the best option for you. It provides civil liability insurance coverage, just as a home insurance policy would.

Our brokers will be able to help you sort through all the details! They’ll find the insurance policy that will allow you to enjoy your life of freedom!