We all need to stick to our budget! Here are a few tips on how to reduce your car insurance premium.
- Start by contacting an insurance broker who will shop around for you in order to obtain the best quality-price ratio for you.
- Update your information with your insurance agent or broker. Here are things that can impact your car insurance premium:
- Yearly kilometers travelled;
- Kilometers to and from work;
- Vehicle use. For example, if you have used your car for business purposes in the past, but no longer do so, it’s important to let your insurer know about this;
- Change of work;
- Change of address;
- Change of drivers. For example, if you had a young driver on your insurance record who has since gotten his own car insurance, we suggest that you remove him from your contract.
- Increase your deductibles. This will likely reduce your premium.
- Install an alarm system, a locating system or have your vehicle anti-theft marked if your comprehensive coverage is too pricy.
- Reduce your coverage if you consider that your premium is too high for the value of your vehicle.
- If your spouse is insured by a company other than yours, regroup all your vehicles with the same insurer in order to benefit from a multi-vehicle a rebate.
- Insure both your home and your vehicle with the same insurer. This might offer you a rebate on your car insurance premium.
- Avoid making small claims.
- If you are 50 and over and are a member of the Fédération de l’âge d’or du Québec (FADOQ), you can obtain rebates and certain types of coverage on car insurance with Intact Assurance.
- Did you know that some insurers offer rebates if your credit rating is good? This could allow you to further reduce your car insurance premium.
- Use telematics to decrease your car insurance premium. This, however, is a relatively new tool that not all insurers offer.
- Drive carefully – this, of course, will always be the best way to reduce your car insurance premium.
As you now know, there are several ways to reduce your car insurance premium. Since insurers offer so many different types of incentives, it can be tricky to make sure that you are getting all the rebates you are entitled to when shopping around for car insurance. In order to ensure that you are getting the best available car insurance package for your needs, we suggest that you contact an insurance broker.